Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Art of the Half Bath

When I moved into my place almost two years ago, one of the things I knew I wasn’t going to be crazy about was the bathtub. Not that I’d ever been a huge bath taker, but when you want to soak and relax, it’s nice to have the option.

In my mind, in my dream home, I have a large, spacious bathroom. Warm with natural materials. Asian-influenced. With a large, deep tub. Large enough for two. And, maybe with jets.

So, back to my place. I do have a tub. It’s kind of weird, though. The length is standard (well, short standard but the same length my parents have in their bathrooms). Problem is, when you look at it, it seems like it should be a normal depth tub. But, when you step into it, you step up. My tub is an optical illusion.

Even when you're little, your tub may only cover you half way.

My home was built in 1972. Maybe people didn’t take baths in 1972? No, that’s about when my parents built their house. We took baths growing up. My mom still takes one every day. It has always been her place to read with a good book.

Well, since I’ve been here, for the most part, I hadn’t taken a lot of baths. Until recently. I finally accepted that my tub is what it is. I’m trying to be grateful for what I do have in my life. At least I have a tub. I have friends who only have showers in their apartments. They don’t even have a tubbing option. I appreciate what I do have in my life and I’ll make the best of it.

If my toes are up, my knees are under. If my toes are under, my knees are up.

So, I’ve begun a nightly bath ritual. I fill my tub (which I almost over-filled last night because I had a blonde moment and got busy doing dishes and chatting with a friend on the phone while the water was running and I don’t have an overflow valve). I add either Epsom salts or baking soda and essential oils. My favorites are a combination of eucalyptus and lavender. I light candles. I put on music. Usually something relaxing like Madeleine Peyroux or Norah Jones. And I climb in. I scootch in as far down as I can. And I relax.

It really isn’t as bad as I joke. Sure, it isn’t super deep and my knees can’t soak with the rest of my body, but it is relaxing. I’m thankful for all that I have in my life. I’m thankful that I can make a ritual of taking a bath. Even if it is only a half bath.


Tell me about your tubbing rituals… Are you a bather? What kind of tub do you have? What would you like to have if you don’t have your ideal? Leave your thoughts and comments below!



@Ybbeige
http://facebook.com/barbarabeige

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and comments. Thanks!